NOTE: Chemical spills should only be dealt with by trained staff that have a working knowledge of the spilled chemical’s hazards and the precautions that must be taken when looking after a spill.
For small spills that can be safely handled:
- Check the chemical’s MSDS for specific spill procedures
- Immediately notify all staff, students, and/or personnel in the area of the spill
- Wear proper PPE
- If the spill is flammable remove all sources of ignition
- Ensure that ventilation in the room is isolated from the rest of the building. Open windows and doors to the outside
- Remove other materials, equipment, or containers that are in the path of the spill
- All spilled material must be disposed of as hazardous waste.
For large spills or extremely hazardous materials where emergency assistance is necessary:
- Close all windows and doors and evacuate the area. If appropriate, sound the fire alarm.
- From a safe location, contact the fire department and inform them of the location and the substances spilled.
- Contact Manitoba Conservation’s emergency spill line at 1-204-944-4888.
- Do not re-enter the room until the fire department or other authorities have determined that it is safe.
- All spilled material must be disposed of as hazardous waste and will be looked after by Miller Environmental Co.