Workplace Inspections by Workplace Employee and Employer Representatives
All inspections will be carried out during regular working hours.
- The workplace WSH Employee Representative and the principal or supervisor will be responsible for daily monitoring of safety and regular inspections of their workplace before each quarterly HSD WSH Committee meeting.
- Inspection reports will be forwarded to the Safety Program Coordinator two weeks before the meeting. A committee consisting of the Assistant Safety Officer for Buildings and Grounds, the Assistant Safety Officer for Program and Students, the Safety Program Coordinator and the Employee Co-chair will review the inspection reports and appropriate items will be added to the agenda of the HSD WSH Committee Meeting
Full Inspections of Workplaces by the Divisional Committee on a Rotational Basis
- All inspections will be carried out during regular working hours.
- In addition to workplace inspections by the workplace representatives, the HSD WSH Committee will conduct full site inspections on a rotational basis, to be scheduled in advance of each quarterly committee meeting. Each workplace will be fully inspected once in a two-year rotation.
- Principals and supervisors will be notified in advance of their full inspection date. This will take the place of the regular workplace inspection for that quarter.
- Full inspections at each workplace will be carried out by:
- Workplace WSH Employee Representative
- Workplace WSH Employer Representative (Principal or Workplace Supervisor)
- School Custodian (where applicable)
- Members of the HSD WSH Committee (Assistant Safety Officer for Buildings and Grounds / Safety Program Coordinator / Employee Rep – others on rotation)
- Inspections shall identify unsafe conditions, unsafe procedures or work habits, health hazards and compliance with all safety laws, regulations and procedures of both the HSD and the province. The inspection team will use the checklist in Appendix B as a reference.
- The Director of Facilities will review the inspection report with the principal or workplace supervisor and will provide him\her with a reference copy.
Upon completion of a full inspection, a completed checklist will be reviewed along with regular workplace inspection reports and appropriate items will be added to the HSD WSH Committee agenda, with the minutes of the meeting identifying appropriate action to be taken, the time frame for completing that action and the person(s) responsible for taking the action.