Definition of a Safety or Health Concern: A safety or health concern exists when a condition or hazard in a workplace or on divisional property may potentially endanger employees, students, sub-contractors or visitors to that site. A safety or health concern also exists when the equipment, tools or procedures utilized at a worksite / school may potential endanger employees, students, sub-contractors or visitors to that site.
Procedures for Reporting an Incident (Near Miss or Actual Accident)
- The school administrator / department supervisor is contacted once an incident/accident has occurred.
- Area with the incident occurred is safeguarded and closed off to any access/disturbance.
- An incident investigation is then conducted.
- In the event of a serious incident that requires an emergency medical response / hospitalization then the HSD Incident Investigation Team will be contacted to assist with the on-site investigation. WSH will be contacted and the details of the incident/accident provided.
- If the incident does not require contacting WSH, then an on-site internal investigation team (principal, safety rep, custodian) will conduct the investigation. The division WSH officer must still be contacted and will provide guidance and assistance as required.
- An HSD Incident Report will be completed and submitted to the WSH officer.
The WSH Committee will review each report and designate committee members and/or the WHS officer, to follow-up to ensure that all recommendations pertaining to preventing further incidents of this nature will be carried out. A timeline for compliance will be established and then carried out.
Procedures for Reporting a Workplace Injury
- Any employee who sustains an injury that is WSH related must complete the divisional form titled: Reporting a Workplace Injury. The form is to be completed and given to the principal / supervisor. Copies will be made and distributed to: the Workplace Supervisor – original; the Employee, the Workplace Employee Representative, and the HSD Safety Program Coordinator.
- All employee groups with the exception of teachers, must also complete a Worker’s Compensation Board Incident Claim form. The form is submitted to the Human Resources Department who will then process the claim.